Wines of Kefalonia are sweet quality wines with a unique character
- Robola grapes are grown on the steep, rocky slopes of the island, where the Mediterranean climate and the rocky soil give the wine its unique character. The wine is known for its high acidity, floral aromas and crisp, refreshing taste with notes of lemon and green apple. It is typically dry, and usually served as an accompaniment to seafood or as an aperitif.
- In addition to Robola, Kefalonia also produces other wines such as Mavrodaphne, a sweet red wine, and a few red wines as well like the Agiorgitiko. Wine lovers should not miss the opportunity to visit the island and taste the wines of Kefalonia, which offer a unique taste of the island’s terroir and culture.
- During the traditional winemaking process, minimal intervention is made, letting the grapes and nature take its course. This allows for the purest expression of the grape variety and terroir, creating a wine with a unique character and complexity.
During the traditional winemaking process, minimal intervention is made, letting the grapes and nature take its course. This allows for the purest expression of the grape variety and terroir, creating a wine with a unique character and complexity.
Health Benefits of natural Wines
- Natural wines, both red wines and white wines, have a number of potential health benefits due to their unique production methods. Firstly, natural wines are made from organic or biodynamically grown grapes, which means they are free from the pesticides and chemicals that are often used in conventional wine production. This can be beneficial for individuals with chemical sensitivities or allergies. Secondly, natural wines are made using minimal intervention and are not subjected to the same level of processing and manipulation as conventional wines. This means they often retain more of the natural antioxidants and polyphenols found in grapes, which are believed to have anti-inflammatory and heart-protective properties. Thirdly, natural wines are fermented using wild yeasts, which are found naturally on the grapes. These yeasts have been linked to a number of health benefits, including a reduced risk of allergies and asthma. Lastly, natural wines are typically lower in histamine and sulfites, which can be beneficial for people with histamine intolerance or sulfite sensitivity. It is important to note that moderate consumption of any type of wine, including natural wine, has health benefits. However, excessive alcohol consumption can have negative health effects, so it’s important to consume in moderation.
Wine Tasting of Kefalonian wines
- Wine tasting in Kefalonia is a unique and memorable experience for any wine lover. The island is home to a number of wineries that produce a variety of wines. A visit to one of these wineries will give you an opportunity to taste the wines and learn about the history and production process of this unique wine. A winery in Kefalonia is usually small and family-run, which gives you a chance to have a more personal and intimate experience. The winemakers will be happy to guide you through the different wines they produce, and tell you the stories behind them. You will be able to taste the wines straight from the barrel, and some wineries may also offer a tour of the vineyards and winery facilities. Wine tasting in Kefalonia can be organized as a group or individual experience, some wineries offer tastings only by appointment or reservations, and others have set hours for tastings. Many wineries also offer other activities such as olive oil and cheese tasting, or even a full meal to accompany the wine. Tasting the wines of Kefalonia is an excellent way to discover the island’s rich winemaking traditions, and to appreciate the unique character and quality of the wines that are produced there.